There are muddy signs that my cat slept by my feet last night. This new keyboard is going to take some getting used to. The shift isn't where I left it, I'm also having trouble finding the apostrophe and the I. But that too will pass. My new computer is great for what I wanted, but there's always a fly in the ointment. The battery is refusing to hold charge, every time I pull out the cord the thing just dies. Perhaps I need to leave it plugged in and off for a while. Yesterday it kept saying it was at 99% and charging but this morning it's gone down to zero. The battery light never comes on, but the on light is always on when plugged in.
I dreamed about the house with alternate clear tiles again last night. This time Ben explained that the water we see running under them actually comes from the toilet flush, denying those using the nearby toilets the privacy they'd prefer. But it was only a flash in a longer, more confused dream. I remember Taminda and I running about trying to find our little sister who was getting off a bus from a school excursion and had taken it upon herself to get off early closer to our house. I remember Nathan Fillion doing a public service announcement... but it wasn't Nathan, it was Richard Castle, talking about his most famous role; as Nathan Fillion. Can't remember what the announcement was about, but it was written down (but still talking) in a fast food shop. I often visit fast food shops in my dreams, funnily there is actually tastes like real food.
I remember that my dad turned up one morning, early in the dream, for a week-long visit and I was panic-stricken because I should have known but I was forgotten. He was trying to find somewhere to hire golf clubs, so I tried googling the local golf club for him. He left before I could find it.
I remember people walking through my house, I was in bed, like I am now, and they kept walking past the door saying "Hey" in that noncommital grunt tradies use when they have to deliver many things today and can't be bothered with pleasantries but are obliged to let you know they're there.
Why can't people learn the correct usage of there, their and they're? It's not like it's difficult to remember. There is a place, their is a possession denominator, and they're is a shortening of they are delineated by the apostrophe. Why is that so hard to grasp?
I dreamed we tried to board up the house to stop the tradies but it didn't help. Then I had a young suitor who kept sending me mail and stuff. Ben would open it for me. He argued his way into the house past the guards and refused to leave, so I had to walk out and imperiously demand he leave my home immediately. He did, but I felt bad and ran after him to try to explain that he couldn't come interrupting my home life, that was wrong, but we could still have a friendship. I didn't want to crush his teenaged spirit. Probably best if I'd left him alone, but I never can resist people who adore me like that, I should do the kind thing and make them leave me so they can get over it, but an adoring puppy dog is too tempting to keep around just to sooth my ego. I feel his love radiating out like warmth and chocolate put together. I like to feel loved. I am lucky, in the real world, to have fallen for a man who loves me like that, because it's always heartbreaking to find that sort of adoration and not be able to return it. Almost as heartbreaking as loving a man who doesn't love that way. It's like tyring to hug a marble statue.
At the end of my dream, before I was rudely awoken by my alarm, I was dreaming about finding cool gadgets for free. ACE was an online company that gave away stuff like mp3 players and computers and all those gadgets I love. But I think you had to jump through hoops to get it. Last night, before bed, I was trying to find cheap mp3 players on ebay. I'm going to buy a new one and give the old one to Ben. For a while I thought about just buying it new from shops, but the rule that paying money ensures quality is no longer true, if it ever was. People flash about the phrase "you get what you pay for" thinking the more expensive product is automatically better somehow. But I sat in on a pricing meeting for the company I was working for as thye discussed selling their software. The price had no reflection on the actual cost to produce, but rather what niche market they were attempting to slot into. It was found that the cheap and cheerful. market that always sells lots was filled in that area by people with more resources than us who had bought out store-front displays bound to sell. So the pricing people thought we'd price higher, double or triple that market, to go for more descerning buyers who wanted a more quality product. We even discussed pricing it far above this to ensure a premium market who wanted a very good quality product, but found that that market sold less units, not enough for the higher price to make up for. $20, it was decided, was the perfect price as it still fell cheap enough to go into the "impulse buy" category, but was expensive enough for customers to think it was better than the $5 cheapo products on the display.
This computer is also practically silent, which is cool, but it heats quickly, which is strange. Also it doesn't have Word, just Wordpad, which is common on these little computers. I can neither use a cd to load word, which I have, or go online, since it is without optical drive for size reasons and my wireless internet device for some reason isn't working on it.
I’m tired because my brain has gotten on a no-sleep freak. Not that I don’t sleep when I go to bed, but I have this irrational desire to stay up watching Ross Noble make fun of the natives. Night before last I didn’t go to sleep until about 2am. Maybe it was the guy who poked his head through the window to borrow a phone and scared the apiary deity out of me.
The hard drive case I’ve been waiting for just arrived, surprise surprise, it’s the wrong one. My bad though, I anticipated as much when I just bought a random ebay one. Now what to do?
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment